Biochemistry deals with complete understanding of the molecular levels of the chemical
process associated with living cells. The scope of the subject is providing biochemical facts and
the principles to understand metabolism of nutrient molecules in physiological and pathological
conditions. It is also emphasizing on genetic organization of mammalian genome and hetero and auto-catalytic functions of DNA.
Objectives: Upon completion of course student shell able to
1. Understand the catalytic role of enzymes, importance of enzyme inhibitors in design of
new drugs, therapeutic and diagnostic applications of enzymes.
2. Understand the metabolism of nutrient molecules in physiological and pathological
3. Understand the genetic organization of mammalian genome and functions of DNA in the
synthesis of RNAs and proteins.
Scope: This subject deals with classification and nomenclature of simple organic compounds, structural isomerism, intermediates forming in reactions, important physical properties, reactions and methods of preparation of these compounds. The syllabus also emphasizes on mechanisms and orientation of reactions.
Objectives: Upon completion of the course, the student shall be able to
1. Write the structure, name and the type of isomerism of the organic compound.
2. Write the reaction, name the reaction and orientation of reactions.
3. Account for reactivity/stability of compounds.
4. Identify/confirm the identification of organic compound.